***As we are all looking forward to watching the Big Game Soon the "SUPER BOWL" ...I got to thinking of my family and friends favorite recipes. Also, come to my mind was the
"Hormel Foods Recipes "Appy Hour" Twitter Recipe Contest"1/26/2015-
**Appetizers are main go to recipes especially for important games, family and friends events
Hormel is my family and my absolute favorite, love Hormel's meat products especially the Chili
This recipe is my recipe I will be making for the Big Super Bowl Game...it is a Slow Cooker Appy that makes us all around here so happy...It can be served with jalapeno peppers, over toasted bread, chips or even over baked potatoes and also in sliders..It is a meal in itself but we call it an appy..We are hoping you all enjoy and enjoy the game:
Recipe: PHILLY CHEESE CHILI STEAK POPPERS & TOPPERS
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 4 to 6 Hours
Serves: Yields 6 to 8 servings
1 pound ground beef
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, divided
1 1/2 pounds top sirloin steak, cut into thin strip pieces
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
2 small green bell peppers, chopped
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cans (10.5-oz. size each) Hormel Chili No Beans
1 can (15-oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup beef broth
2 cups shredded cheddar or Mexican style cheese, divided
10 large jalapeno peppers, cut in halves and seeded
20 slices (cut bread slice diagonally and 1/4-inch wide) baguette bread
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Tortilla corn chips
1 cup sour cream
1. Heat a medium size non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef. Cook ground beef in heated skillet for 4 to 5 minutes, or until browned and no longer pink, stirring occasionally and keeping ground beef separated and finely grounded; drain.
2. Heat a 4- or 5-quart slow cooker to high heat. Reserve 2 tablespoons each olive oil and melted butter and set aside to be used later to prepare jalapeno pepper halves and baguette bread slices. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons each olive oil and melted butter into the bottom of the heated slow cooker. Add the cooked ground beef, steak, onions, bell peppers, garlic, chili powder, cumin seeds, salt and ground black pepper and stir together until just mixed. Add in chili, tomatoes and beef broth and stir again until just mixed. Cover slow cooker with lid, cook for 3 to 5 hours, or until meat is almost tender. After 3 to 5 hours, remove lid from slow cooker. Reserve 1 cup of shredded cheese and set aside to be served later to garnish over the tops of jalapeno pepper halves and baguette bread slices. With the remaining 1 cup shredded cheese, stir into the Philly cheese chili steak mixture until blended. Cook, uncovered, an additional 1 hour, or until meat is tender. Reduce heat to lowest setting to keep warm.
3. Meanwhile, heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two cookie sheet pans with parchment paper.
4. Prepare to roast jalapeno pepper halves and toast baguette bread slices. Brush the jalapeno peppers with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to coat all sides. Place jalapeno peppers cut side down on one of the lined sheet pans, keeping 1 1/2-inches apart. Brush the baguette bread slices on one side each with the remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter. Place the baguette bread slices, buttered side up on the second lined sheet pan, keeping slices 1- to 1 1/2-inches apart. Sprinkle the garlic powder and paprika evenly over the buttered tops of each baguette bread slice. Roast prepared jalapeno pepper halves and baguette bread slices, alongside each other in the same oven for 8 to 12 minutes, or until jalapeno pepper halves are slightly roasted, but still somewhat firm and baguette bread slices are lightly browned and toasted. Remove from oven and place over cooling rack to cool slightly 10 minutes.
5. Prepare to assemble and serve. Place half or all of the slightly roasted jalapeno pepper halves on a serving platter, and half or all of the toasted baguette bread slices on the same serving platter, or serve both on separate serving platters. Serve along with tortilla corn chips and Philly cheese chili steak in slow cooker . Serve the remaining 1 cup shredded cheese and sour cream to garnish over the tops of each popper and topper appetizer.
Picture of Recipe: